What to expect after surgery
Thigh lift surgery is a little or moderate painful procedure. Pains are well soothed by analgesics.
Ecchymosis (bruises) are classical and subside within 2 to 3 weeks after the operation. An oedema (swelling) is constant and of variable duration, gradually subsiding within a few months.
Daily nursing care after your shower with a soft soap are necessary during 15 days.
Three preventive measures against phlebitis are established after the procedure: the affected leg elevated as well as the walk, the wearing of compression stockings and the daily injection of an anticoagulant (medicines which thin the blood) over 15 days.
The wearing of a compression garment is recommended during 1 month in order to reduce the post-operative œdema.
The resumption of daily activities is possible the day following the procedure.
The resumption of professional activities is possible from 7 to 15 days following the procedure.
The resumption of sports activities can be done within 6 weeks following the operation.
The complications of thigh lift surgery are weak and will be mentioned by Dr. Petit during the consultation.
Mains risks are the following
In the first hours following the surgery:
- A haematoma (blood pooling), a rare complication requiring a revisionary process in order to drain it.
In the post-operative month:
- Healing problems, resulting in one or several localized disunities (opening of the scar) requiring a directed healing.
- A seroma (collection of fluid), requiring a drainage in consultation.
- Transitory troubles of skin sensitivity.
- An infection, a cutaneous necrosis: rare complications.
- A phlebitis, a pulmonary embolism: exceptional complications with the preventive measures established previously.
In the long term:
- A scar expansion, requiring a revisionary procedure.
- A pathological scarring (hypertrophic scars or keloids).
The final result of thigh lift surgery is obtained between 3 to 6 months after the procedure, when the post-operative oedema has disappeared.
The scars initially are inflammatory (red and swollen) the first months, then they will fade gradually without disappearing. The final aspect of your scar is not predictable and will be known at the end of the scarring maturation (between 1 and 2 years after the procedure). The result is long-lasting except in case of significant changes in body weight or pregnancy. Thigh lift surgery is an efficient procedure which reshapes the contour of the thighs and provides a high degree of patient satisfaction relating to the functional and aesthetic aspects.